Barry Ault got staph after surfing in heavy storm runoff

water_wiki_4

7 January, 2015 – A San Diego surfer has died after contracting an aggressive staph infection, which some suspect he got in the water during his last jaunt in the waves.

Well-known community surfer Barry Ault, 71, went surfing shortly before Christmas despite warnings to avoid it for three days because of runoff from a recent rainstorm. He soon developed flu-like symptoms, and was in a coma just days later, his wife, Sally Ault, told ABC News’ San Diego affiliate KGTV.

Barry Ault, “the essential water man,” died Christmas Day, his wife told the station. “He had a raging staph infection, so he was in complete sepsis,” Sally Ault told KGTV. “His whole body was full of staph.”

Although staph infections can usually be treated with antibiotics, they weren’t enough to save Barry Ault because he had an underlying condition, Dr. Eric McDonald of San Diego county’s Health and Human Services Agency said.

He had a recently replaced heart valve, his wife told KGTV. Ault’s wife said two of his other friends also became sick after surfing with him that last day. She couldn’t blame the bacteria in the water “because there’s no proof, but it’s too big of a coincidence,” she said.

Tags

 
 

0 Comments

You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Leave a Comment